Chicago, IL (April 22, 2010)- Today, communities around the world are celebrating Earth Day. United Airlines is taking actions throughout the company and operations that help protect the environment by building on their continued commitment to provide employee volunteer opportunities that focus on creating lasting environmental impacts in our communities where we live and work.
United Airlines has partnered with the Alliance for Community Trees (ACT), a national not-for-profit group dedicated to improving the environment by planting trees in urban areas. To date, ACT and its member organizations have planted over 15 million trees nationwide.
Many of our cities have lost more than a third of their forest canopies in recent decades. Planting trees not only improves the environment, it improves the social fabric of the communities where we live and work- spurring neighborhood development and supporting healthier, more livable communities.
United Airlines will be hosting community tree planting volunteer events in each of their five hub cities and are inviting you, your families and your friends to participate. The event dates are listed below:
Hub/Date/Local Planting Org/Site:
* IAD- 5/15/10 with Fairfax ReLeaf at Columbia Elementary
* LAX- 6/5/10 with LA Conservation Corps at Neighborhood TBD
* ORD- 6/12/10 with Chicago Gateway at University of Illinois-Chicago Green
* SFO- 6/19/10 with Friends of the Urban Forest at Bayview District
* DEN- 6/19/10 with Sand Creek Regional Greenway Partnership and Denver Parks and Recreation at Star K Ranch and Sand Creek Parkway
All events will take place from approximately 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Food and drinks will be provided as well as “Every Action Counts” t-shirts for each participant. ACT and its local partners will provide training, equipment and all technical assistance.
For questions, please email email@example.com.