Washington, DC (February 11, 2014) – Alliance for Community Trees membership has elected five new members to its Board of Directors beginning January 2014.
“The 2014 Board is a mix of business and member leadership with great passion for our organization’s mission to plant and care for urban trees. I look forward to working with them to increase the impact of our organization and support our members across the U.S.”
New to the Alliance for Community Trees Board of Directors for 2014 and serving three-year terms are
- Mark Buscaino, Executive Director, Casey Trees (Washington, DC)
- Karen Jenkins, Executive Director, Savannah Tree Foundation (Savannah, GA)
- Kemba Shakur, Executive Director, Urban Releaf (Oakland, CA)
- Patrick A. Shea, Private Practicing Attorney & Associate Research Professor of Biology, University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Barry Ward, Executive Director, Trees for Houston (Houston, TX)
“ACTrees Board is pleased to announce that Kemba Shakur is the second recipient of the Marcia Dew Bansley Award following Samuel Bishop III of Trees New York who was honored in 2013,” says David Forsell, Alliance for Community Trees Board President.
The Marcia Dew Bansley Award engages member leaders whose organization represents the diversity and variety of our organization membership. The award provides funding for three years to support a representative from a member organization to attend in-person meetings of the Board for their three-year term.
In addition, two current Directors were elected to a second three-year term:
- Burnell “Burney” C. Fischer, Ph.D., Clinical Professor, School of Public & Environmental Affairs, Indiana University; and
- Greg Levine, Co-Executive Director and Chief Program Officer, Trees Atlanta.
Continuing their service on the Alliance for Community Trees are
- David Forsell, President, Keep Indianapolis Beautiful. Dave moves into his second year as Alliance for Community Trees Board President.
- Scott Jamieson, Vice President Corporate Partnerships and National Recruiting, Bartlett Tree Experts, will continue as Board Vice President.
- Maitreyi Roy, Executive Director, Bartram Gardens, is Board Treasurer.
- Danielle Crumrine, Executive Director, Tree Pittsburgh, remains as Secretary.
- Nancy Hughes, Executive Director, California Urban Forests Council.
- Samuel Bishop, Director of Education, Trees New York.
Leaving the Board this year is Diane Gleason, a New Mexico-based environmental consultant.
About Alliance for Community Trees
Alliance for Community Trees (ACTrees) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the health and livability of cities by planting and caring for trees. With over 200 member and partner organizations in 44 states and Canada, Alliance for Community Trees engages volunteers to take action to improve the environment where 93% of people live: in cities, towns, and metropolitan areas. Together Alliance for Community Trees member organizations have planted and cared for more than 15 million trees with help from over 5 million volunteers. Learn more about our mission at www.ACTrees.org.