Atlanta, GA (September 28, 2010)- PRIMEDIA Inc. (NYSE: PRM), a leading provider of online, print and mobile platforms that provide consumers with tools and information they need to find a place to live, and Alliance for Community Trees (ACT) an organization that supports non-profits that are dedicated to urban and community tree planting, care, conservation and education, today announced that it, along with its brands such as Apartment Guide, has become a Founding Member of ACT’s Corporate Leadership Council.
“PRIMEDIA’s generous contribution to support ACT’s national programs is a tremendous testament to their passion and dedication as they take direct action to help improve the environment,” said Alice Ewen, executive director, Alliance for Community Trees. “We look forward to working with them, Apartment Guide and the company’s other brands in the coming months.”
PRIMEDIA joins other companies such as The Home Depot Foundation in ACT’s leading circle of supporters. Together, ACT member groups are making communities healthier and greener through tree planting and protection. To date, ACT organizations have engaged five million volunteers to plant and care for 15 million trees nationwide.
“Since 2008, PRIMEDIA has saved over 8,500 tons of paper and increased its material efficiency by 44 percent by strategically redesigning our guides and using larger amounts of paper with post-consumer content” said Charles Stubbs, president and CEO, PRIMEDIA. “Working with the Alliance for Community Trees is further indication of our commitment to continuing to drive company efficiencies and reduce our environmental footprint.”
In its role with ACT, PRIMEDIA helps to support ACT’s national programs, which result annually in:
* 40,000 shade trees planted in over 200 cities nationwide
* 14 million gallons of stormwater absorbed for a total annual savings of $140,000
* 400 tons of air pollutants captured, for an annual savings of $200,000
* $400,000 in energy savings and avoided emissions
* $38 million in future property value increases
In addition to its sponsorship with ACT, PRIMEDIA continues to work with the Environmental Defense Fund and KKR to reduce its use of forest resources by:
* Encouraging users to utilize free online content through its Network of Web sites;
* Redesigning its guides, including resizing of print books; and
* Evaluating paper type to use larger amounts of post-consumer content where possible.
PRIMEDIA will continue to offer advertisers online, print and mobile advertising solutions.
PRIMEDIA Becomes Founding Member of Alliance for Community Trees Corporate Leadership Council
Alliance for Community Trees Corporate Council