Blacksburg, VA (November 15, 2008)- A 2004 NUCFAC-funded, technology transfer study has just been released. It is titled, Development of a Green Infrastructure Technology that Links Trees and Engineered Soil to Minimize Runoff from Pavement. The project was a collaborative effort between Virginia Tech, Cornell University, and the University of California at Davis.
The unveiling of the research has been very positive, including features by the Discovery Channel Online, Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, and over 40 presentations at the UC Davis demonstration site to visitors from around the country and internationally.
The study’s resources include:
* A 55-page downloadable how-to manual designed for stormwater engineers, urban foresters, public works departments, low-impact development practitioners, grass-roots organizations, and others: Managing Stormwater for Urban Sustainability using Trees and Structural Soils, 2008. Eds. S. D. Day and S. B. Dickinson. Virginia Polytechnic and State University, Blacksburg, VA.
* A 10-minute visual presentation with accompanying notes for presenters to introduce the concept of trees as stormwater management tools and the structural soil system to developers, city councils, tree boards, landscape architects, stormwater managers, and other practitioners.
* Highlights from the construction of each of four demonstration sites around the country.
* Technical resources related to this project, including citations of published research resulting from these studies.
* Links to a full set of stormwater management and urban forestry resources created as a part of this project by each of three participating universities. Additional resources from the wider urban forestry community are also highlighted.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Susan D. Day, Assistant Professor
Virginia Tech Department of Forestry & Department of Horticulture
228 Cheatham Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Stormwater Manual: Using Trees and Structural Soil to Improve Water Quality
Stormwater Presentation Notes
Science Daily- Urban Trees Enhance Water Infiltration
Soil Science Society of America
American Society of Agronomy