Deadline: February 14, 2011
Five Star provides $10,000 to $40,000 grants on a competitive basis to support community-based wetland, riparian and coastal habitat restoration projects that build diverse partnerships and foster local natural resource stewardship through education, outreach and training activities.
Project sites may be public land — parks, streams, school campuses — or private land such as corporate facilities. Because public participation is paramount in community-based restoration, these sites should be accessible to the community.
The Five Star Restoration Program is a partnership among the National Association of Counties (NACo), the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC), and corporate sponsors Southern Company and Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E).
Five Star Projects have several key components ensuring successful, community-based restoration:
* Project partners are innovative, diverse and include at least five participants. Local governments, businesses, schools and youth groups as well as environmental and citizen organizations may apply as grantees or as part of a partnership.
* Partner contributions can be cash or in-kind donations and should match the grant funds at a ratio of about 1:1. Our most competitive projects leverage grant funds at a rate of 2:1 or higher.
Key Project Elements
* On-the-Ground Restoration
* Ecological habitat restoration (wetland, riparian, in stream, coastal)
* Environmental Education
* Meaningful community participation and/or school curriculum integration
* Engagement of diverse community partners to achieve project objectives
* Measurable Results
* Ecological and educational/social benefits that can be measured
Keys to Success
Five Star projects create stream buffers to improve local water quality and habitat. These grants build riverfronts, wetlands or coastal habitats for outdoor classrooms, ecotourism and recreation and restore natural function and community value to native ecosystems by enhancing parks and natural areas. These projects empower communities to support spaces for learning, recreation and growth while protecting vital resources and fostering stewardship of our local landscapes.
Five Star Restoration Grants